Lesson 2: Basic Terminology and Selecting a Trainer Plane

In lesson 2 the students get handouts with a lot of the basic terms for the different parts of the plane and helicopter. I cover the issue of dihedral and polyhedral and how they are used to help make a good 3 channel trainer plane one that can more easily self-recover if the pilot goes hands off of the controls. I also cover the practical differences between three channel trainers and four channel trainers and why I prefer to have students start with a three channel trainer. The last fifteen minutes are spent reviewing orientation and small stick movements.
  • Double click on the pictures to more easily read the terms.Double click on the pictures to more easily read the terms.
  • I never assume that my students know the parts of the aircraft.I never assume that my students know the parts of the aircraft.
  • I only call on volunteers who want to answer my questions.I only call on volunteers who want to answer my questions.
  • I added helicopters to training years ago and now I have had my first quad-copter request.I added helicopters to training years ago and now I have had my first quad-copter request.
Over the years I have used a number of planes to help train students to fly. They include the Gentle Lady two channel glider with polyhedral. The Multiplex Hummel and the Hobby-lobby Miss Two which are both electrics with dihedral and rudder and elevator control. More recently I have used smaller three channel planes including the HobbyZone Super Cub and Champ and the Flyzone Playmate. Living in Northern CA we have a lot of early mornings that are calm, and that allows for the use of small trainer planes in calm conditions. My students can of course pick whatever plane they want but I strongly encourage a three channel plane for the first plane. I don't want them to get their plane yet, I just want them to start thinking about trainer planes.
In this class I try and cover all the parts of an electric powered plane and what those parts do. I have a handout for them to take home, and I get to discuss small vs large movements of the transmitter stick when discussing each control surface. Here I also cover the basics of getting into a turn, keeping the plane level and getting out of a turn. The turn starts by moving the ailerons or rudder in one direction and the plane starts to bank and turn. The inside wing starts to drop and this requires some up elevator to stop this drop and keep the plane level. Finally, ending the turn often requires a moment of counter turn to get the plane out of the turn and back to flying straight. During this discussion I get to again focus on small stick movements and the importance of remaining orientated with their aircraft.
Vince Lombardi is said to have started training camp showing the team a football and saying: "This is a football!" I start this session with a picture and say: "This is a plane." I try not to assume that they know anything but cover the basics quickly and give them handouts to take home.

No comments:

Post a Comment